We hope that over the last several weeks you have begun connecting with those who live closest to you – your literal neighbors. We hope conversations have gone well and you have started the process of getting to know the names of those around you. The next step after getting to know your neighbors’ names is getting to know their stories. Stories are powerful. They give us insight into someone’s life, explaining sometimes why they are the way they are. They also create a better connection between people. Simply put, sharing stories builds relationships. This week we want to help you initiate conversations with your neighbors so you can hear their stories.
- Ask questions to learn more about your neighbors.
- How long have you lived here?
- What do you do?
- Where are you from?
- Do you have any kids?
- Look for common interests you share.
- Did they say something that resonates?
- Do they have a flag, car magnet, or t-shirt that sparks conversation?
- Follow up a few days later.
- What did you talk about that could initiate a second conversation?
- Did they express a certain need? How could you help meet that need?
Check back here next week for more practical tips on how, together, we can be FOR our neighbors.